Who are Sensible Object?
Sensible Object build inclusive social games, augmented by software. Our games are played face-to-face, not face-to-screen, connecting seamlessly with the devices players already own.
We launched our first title Beasts of Balance in November 2016 to widespread critical acclaim, now scaling world-wide with Apple Store. We were one of 9 companies selected for the first Alexa Accelerator where we announced Voice Originals, the world’s first range of voice-augmented tabletop games. We shipped our first voice title, When In Rome, in July 2018.
Who are we looking for?
We're looking for a full-time senior software engineer to join our team and help build the next generation of voice experiences. You’ll be leading a small, diverse, interdisciplinary team of creatives working to drive the future of our voice products.
This is a high-impact position. Voice Originals are built in TypeScript and deployed to AWS using Terraform and Docker, and you’ll be responsible not only for delivering high-quality code, but also for coaching the other devs in the team and managing the infrastructure our services are hosted on.
A perfect candidate should feel comfortable working on current games with their peers and juniors, as well as working with the VP of Engineering on designing and developing tools and frameworks that will help with our future projects.
We value diversity at Sensible Object, and encourage applications from groups underrepresented in tech.
What are my critical outcomes?
- Designing and developing maintainable code.
- Working with the team on live product maintenance and making sure that they stay maintainable throughout their lifecycle.
- Implementing data analytics in products and actively participating in discussions on what data should be gathered and why.
- Helping to build good processes and culture within the team and company as a whole.
- Sharing knowledge with other members of the team in an accessible manner.
What will I be doing day-to-day?
- Hands-on work with the products both in development and already live.
- Contributing to prioritisation, scoping, and design discussions.
- Managing releases and monitoring live infrastructure.
- Monitoring process and software bottlenecks and coming up with solutions to improve them.
- Mentoring and coaching your peers.
What are your values?
Values aren’t just words on the wall for us. They shape our hiring, our ways of working and the goals we choose to pursue. If these resonate with you, you’re looking for a spot on the right team.
Wildness with polish – We know that creative processes will always have a little wildness about them. We want to preserve that free spirit, and balance it with a focus on the highest standards in everything we ship.
Every voice matters – Diversity strengthens the dialogue we have with one another. Being thoughtful about representation and inclusivity in our games is the most effective way to reach the biggest audience.
Work sustainably – We find ways to accomplish our goals while being mindful of our lives outside of work. We believe the best route to success is by taking care of ourselves and each other.
Bias for action – Speed matters in business. Many decisions and actions are reversible and do not need extensive study. We value calculated risk taking, and we ship on time.
Just enough to make it magical – Our games relish the tangible qualities of beautiful things. We use technology and materials with flair and frugality, putting it in the service of great experiences.
What skills and experience do I need?
- Confident working with CI/CD and cloud based infrastructure platforms such as AWS.
- Some familiarity with Docker and “infrastructure as code” tools such as Terraform.
- Proactive problem-solver.
- Great collaborator with excellent communication and people skills.
- Empathy, maturity, and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced creative environment.
What’s the salary and benefits?
- Salary DOE.
- Generous stock options scheme.
- Enrolment in stakeholder pension scheme.
- Team-wide and team-led development sessions covering soft skills, design, shipping games, and business basics.
- Supportive, action-orientated review and personal development process.
- Games nights, office snacks and drinks.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!